Re: [RTTY] PARTIAL Crib list

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] PARTIAL Crib list
From: f6irf@free.fr
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:31:54 +0200
Roger, I do not agree with you,

preliminary: MASTER.DTA is not specific to WL... it existed far before windows
3.1 !!! and the feature exists in any contest software form earliers to most
recent ones.

Now on its use:

1) In my sense getting a callsign correct is a shared responsibility between the
operators, but the responsibilty is more like 90% on the station replying to a
CQ:
If you reply to my CQ, and I send you
G3WDI 599 14 G3WDI
because I pick-uped G3(DI It is your responsibility to keep repeating your call
until I get it correct... Do not send a report before I get ur call correct and
if required send something like
MY CALL G3LDI LDI LDI LDI G3LDI

2)Being sometimes on the replyer side, and though I am quite "well know" now, I
still get called F6IGF F6IRG F6IRA or F6IRO, so even being well known does
prevent newcomers to make mistakes. Anyway this a non-issue as I always follow
rule 1)

3) Think not a single serious op can contest this: When more than one station is
calling, it is always better to guess a call than sending QRZ? and get the same
2 stations to come back again... so even if I have 2 letters, I will guess
something, function of band opening,signal sound, and known operators
habbits... and GOTO 1)
I only send QRZ? when I have no other alternative (exactly the same problem as
handling a pile in CW... always pretend you have picked up a call, it is the
best way to get the pile to shut-up a bit ! and it allows to keep the "rythm"
and make everybody think that you are are a pile-up king !).
Even if only 1 station is replying and the call is busted, it is better to
guess, as you may save 1 turn (in 90% of the cases it happens that my guess is
correct if I am missing just a digit - and 80% if I am missing 2 - most of the
time having a suffix also result in a correct guess - even just /QRP: most of
the time it will be YU1LM/QRP !!!).

4) In any case if I have a doubt (ie signal is weak and my brain reconstructed
the call from several partials on the screen), I will ask you to confirm the
call  (sometimes you don't know why, the same decoding mistake may happen
twice...)- Once again it should be GOTO 1) but still do not trust everybody to
ask me to correct their call before sending me a report...

5) I "guess" a lot, not only with the master, but also with callsigns I have in
mind, and you can look at my UBN's in a few contests were they are published,
they are often better than average...
I would say that the "Master" is here to help reduce your UBN's. If it increases
them, it is simply because you do not use it properly... dont't through it away,
just try to use it as it should be used (*)

6) last but not least when you are on the CQ-side you loose a lot of time if you
wait for having 3 times the call in the clear - this is especialy true on 80m
where getting a call more than once in the clear is sometimes quite a problem
with multipath and QRN... once again guessing is not a problem if everybody
follows rule 1)

I do not need to come back on stations sending QSO B4... it is also a non-issue,
how many times will we have to repeat "THERE IS NO PENALTY FOR A DUPE" -there
are only penalties for a B (bad) , N's (Not in log) or a N+1 (1 digit
wrong)...and also "DUPES SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED" from log (as they may become a
N for someone...)

Anyway this has been a great contest, though I would also appreciate if people
could send only what is essential, and repeat only what is essential - (ie when
I send "STATE STATE AGN" I am expecting a reply like MO MO MO MO MO not a
repetion of the calligns(**) and the full exchange... and only once the state
again ! - btw the zone is not essential for me,  the state is: if I have your
state, I know in which zone you are !)... <was surprised by the number of guys
asking me for my ZN agn... and never for RST agn... logicaly it should be the
opposite... there is not doubt about ny ZN being 14, while I may have sent you
539(***)>
Patrick
F6IRF - http://f6irf.blogspot.com/

(*) Have done many tests a few years ago, using PED pile-up trainer (which
allows a master.dta to be used)... you cannot imagine the score improvements
you can get using a DB, especialy when you setup the band for heavy QRM/QRN and
"chaotic Pile-up"... You may ask Randy K5ZD if you have still doubts about this
(why would he spend time maintaining it if it was useless)
(**) Another rule I forgot: do not repeat your callsign if the guy has picked it
up correctly on the first message... you may let him think that he made a
mistake on your call.  No call repetion=call correct // call repetion=call
incorrect - see the numerous "primers" which have been published on the
topic...
(***) kiding, I am not vicious enough to send anything but 599 - To do what ?
increase my correspondants UBN level?

[RTTY] PARTIAL Crib list
from [Roger Cooke] [Permanent Link][Original]