Re: [RTTY] PARTIAL Crib list

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] PARTIAL Crib list
From: f6irf@free.fr
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:22:31 +0200
From:  Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
>It's in CT and N1MM and WF1B and ...  it's still cheating.

Sorry Peter, But it is not true, for a simple reason: nothing is specified in
any set of rules I know (*) to forbid the use of a Master.dta. Once again
master or not master, guessing is normal in contest (or in pile-up handling),
and does not imply that operators do forget about callsign and exchanges
validity...
Today the sanction in contests is called UBN's ! (and it can be quite severe if
you forget the a/m basic rule and log anything just because it is in the
master...)

If you want to fight against cheating in contests, I suggest you look for
something else... there are quite a few real topics around !

If you want to see contests with real "unpredictable exchanges" there are also a
few around (ie a simple S/N exchange excludes guessing) ... If you want to see a
contest with quite a few unpredictable callsigns, you can try WPX...
And if you want to banish computers from contesting there are a few "straight
key" parties, which will make you happy.

With all proportions in mind, it's a bit like the America's Cup, or the F1
racing... what is not strictly prohibited by rules is "de facto" authorized...
Up to the contest sponsors to setup the rules for the kind of competition they
wish and to the participants to take part or not!

With friendlyness, happyness, and my best regards!
Long life to hamradio contesting !
Patrick

(*) the only exception I know is the WRTC, but only for official teams on the
competition site (each team having a referee with him, it is easy to check who
is using what !)- do you imagine putting a referee behind every CQWW participant
;-)