Re: [RTTY] RTTY Sweeps

To: Rick Mintz <Rmintz@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Sweeps
From: WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:05:28 -0700
On 9/27/05, Rick Mintz <Rmintz@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Not to contest (good choice of words) your opinion but as a
> clarification....
>
> (1) Sweeps is a 24 hour contest

 As is RTTY Roundup. Actually both are 24 out of 30 hours.
 2) The are many US only contests now, so it is not unique to exclude DX
 RTTY contest tradition is that we enjoy working our friends around the
world which is why they are in RTTY Roundup and why the name is Roundup not
SS. If as you say that are many US only contests we hardly need another.
 (3) RTTY Roundup as inferred by others is a US contest. It is a DX contest
but has state multipliers as in CQWW RTTY
 Actually not a lot different than SS other than the DX. Which makes it a
"real" contest in so much as there is not limited multipliers. So strategy
not simply running is necessary to achieve a nice score. SS really is a pure
rate contest.
 (4) A Sweepstakes RTTY is to activate low power, antenna challenged
stations
that cannot work DX in contest situations. With smaller stations working
W/VE only more emphasis would be on skill rather than horsepower.
 There are few low power, antenna challenged stations in SS. It would make
no difference what-so-ever to Don, AA5AU if there were DX mults or not.
Enter one of the Sprints or perhaps the NCJ contests. They have exactly
that. Contesting is always about skill not horsepower.
 RTTY Roundup BTW is perhaps the only contest that has been won from all
over the U.S. as well as the world. West Coast, East Coast, Texas,
Louisanna. Just like it was designed to be.