Re: [RTTY] RTTY Sweeps

To: "Rick Mintz" <Rmintz@Rochester.rr.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Sweeps
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:41:06 -0500
I understand that Sweeps is a 24 hour contest.
But it still chews up the weekend. Realistically, another major contest can not
coexist in
the same 'basic' timeframe as sweeps.

I really don't see the advantage. There are already low power, antenna
challenged rtty ops
in the contests...
I rather see contests open to all ops, all countries.
You can have certificates for all the various levels.

The problem with a rtty sweeps is....one bit takes a hit (rhyming not intended)
and the
exchange is corrupted and it might go unnoticed.
So there could be a lot of penalties, especially for low power, antenna
challenged.
Sure would hate to see a newbie get dinged because he entered what he printed,
never
knowing it was wrong.

I'd rather see a radically different contest, with different strategies than
just another
same old, same old. The contests which have become fun are the ones with
different
exchanges, like using age, or first licensed. WAE comes to mind. That one is
challenging
and never boring. Makrothen for another.

But, saying all that. If a rtty sweeps does come to pass, I'll play, even
though I'd think
we could have been more inventive.