Re: [RTTY] RTTY Sweeps

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Sweeps
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:55:10 -0400
KI6DY said:

>And therein could lie the problem with a RTTY
>Sweepstakes if it were to follow the rules of the SSB
>and CW. Although RTTY contesting activity has grown, I
>don't think it has grown to the extent that would make
>the this format very exciting over 30 hours. Just not
>enough staions to work with the work a station once
>only rule. Perhaps shortening it to 12 hours would
>keep things hopping. A sweep, in my opinion, would be
>very very difficult.
>
>Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm all for more RTTY
>contests, but not a RTTY sweepstakes in the current
>Sweepstakes format without modification.

As further support for Bob's point, note that many of the contests that
support all three modes vary their rules between CW/SSB and RTTY in
recognition of the different size of the community: WAE (everyone works
everyone instead of Europe-DX, and QTCs both ways instead of DX-to-Europe);
CQ WW (states/provinces added as multipliers to make NA-to-NA QSOs more
worthwhile); and NA Sprint (repeat QSOs with the same station allowed on
the same band).

Much as I love both the SS and RTTY, I agree with Bob that an unmodified
RTTY Sweepstakes would probably not work - after a few hours on Saturday
everyone would have worked everyone else. In fact, even with the ability to
work stations on multiple bands, I suspect that if the NAQP RTTY were run
for 24 hours instead of 12, the second half would get pretty dull.

Don's rttycontesting web site lists 27 RTTY contests a year, and to his
list we could add the September NCJ Sprint, the TARA Skirmish and the TARA
Grid Dip, so there are actually at least 30. Four of these are clearly NA
rather than DX contests (the four NCJ contests), and the ARRL Roundup might
best be thought of as an NA contest with DX multipliers added to keep it
from getting too slow. Do we really need more? Just asking...

73,
Rich VE3IAY