Re: [RTTY] RTTY on Six Meters

To: Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY on Six Meters
From: "Dick Kriss, AA5VU" <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:52:08 -0600
Jeff WK6I,

As a newbie to six meters I want to thank you for the FB response to my
questions about where to run RTTY.  I have never experienced a six meter
opening but something tells me when it happens many drop everything and work
DX in any mode they can.

I agree putting RTTY at 50.700 sounds kind of silly. Most of us do not have
antennas with that bandwidth.  Maybe a digital segment between .150  and
.160 could be the place to experiment with RTTY and PSK unless it is already
allocated.  The six meter band seems to be sliced and diced pretty good with
no real agreement on RTTY and PSK.

I realize contesters take a dim view of self spots on the cluster; however,
this is not contesting and I would like to see some self spots from stations
trying to make some RTTY or PSK QSO's.  Like noted by Russ, WA3FRP, I have
seen FJ5DX spots for RTTY on 50.150.  If not busy I tune there to see if can
hear him or the SA station he is working.

I may try a self spot some time at 50.153 and transmit some RTTY CQ's.  I
can't really use 50.150 due local QRM from a mystery source - probably the
DSL modem. HiHi

Thanks again for the excellent response.

73, Dick AA5VU
(six meter newbie)