Re: [RTTY] The Iron Butt Award goes to.....

To: "RTTY List" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The Iron Butt Award goes to.....
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:48:28 -0800
Somehow I missed this thread as it was going on, or I would have commented
at the time.  (Believe it or not, I was monitoring and answering email plus
doing admin on some web sites I manage, while listening to the two radios
auto-CQing on Monday and Tuesday.)

Shelby has got it about right.  When I took a six hour break at 05Z the
AVERAGE QSO rate was 122 for the first 11 hours.  I can't describe the
excitement of such a prolonged run.  My physical being was tired, but I
could not sleep.  I went to bed, but my mind would not shut down.  I didn't
even doze during that off time.  I was very worried about making it through
Sunday without any sleep.

At 1101Z Sunday, I fired off one radio on 80 and the other on 40, figuring
it was going to be a boring hour or two.  It was boring for about 90 seconds
until the first caller came in and from then through 2359Z, I was working
hard again to keep up with the rate.  At 00Z, I threw on some clothes and
went out to treat myself to a wonderful dinner down on the water.  The three
glasses of wine should have helped the sleep process Sunday night, but I
still had trouble shutting down my brain.  Eventually I did get some sleep.

The never-ending pileup was due to everyone else out there, not me, and I
owed my thrilling experience to all those people.  That was a strong
motivator to activate 160 and the WARC bands on RTTY.  I assumed that I
would crash once I got home and I did sleep about eight hours last night.
But I'm not really as wasted as I thought I might be.

73,
Ed - W0YK