Re: [RTTY] - "Freely available software"

To: "'George Henry'" <ka3hsw@earthlink.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] - "Freely available software"
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:59:52 -0500
Absolutely not the case ... the FCC can prohibit the use of any
protocol and/or any modulation system for any reason.  If they
wanted to require Amateurs in the US to use only International
Morse in the English language they could do exactly that.

Further, they have in the past prohibited the user of certain
signaling systems ... I?ve been licensed long enough to remember
when the ONLY RTTY permitted was BAUDOT ... eight bit codes were
not permitted.

It is far better to prohibit modulation and coding that is of
real value only to commercial interests who want to protect
their revenue stream and the privacy of their semi-commercial
users that allow the amateur service to become just another
mobile service.

Sorry, if this proposal gores your personal ox ... but the
Amateur HF spectrum is much like the National Parks and it
should not have interstate highways cut into it for the benefit
of commercial interests.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV