Re: [RTTY] Tips for contesting...

To: dave@nk7z.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Tips for contesting...
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:19:56 -0500
On Jan 29, 2006, at 9:41 PM, Dave Cole (NK7Z/NNN0RDO) wrote:

> So just what do you guys do to get the high Q rate?  I currently run a
> vertical, and a KW for equipment, and can not even come close to
> the rates
> you are getting...
>
> I had 297 Qs in under 15 hours, but the Q rates I am seeing are way
> beyond
> that...  Anyone care to offer up some tips?

Verticals are ok for 80 and 160m (oh, wait, there's virtually no RTTY
on 160m, scratch that). What you need are some decent antennas! A
tribander at 50 feet or higher and a rotatable dipole for 40m will do
wonders.

I managed 236 Qs in the Roundup in 4 hours, using an A3S at 15m (50')
with the 40m dipole option running 200-300 watts. Really serious
contesters have even more elaborate antenna systems. Putting up the
best antennas you can really pays off in contests.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901