[RTTY] XE Contest

To: "rtty" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] XE Contest
From: "Jim Martin - MM0BQI" <MM0BQI@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:39:41 -0000
Missed BARTG last week due to office Christmas (!) night out and operations
this weekend were severely curtailed by a RAYNET dinner and some exceptionally
fine Scottish rugby on the telly.  I intended to try out SO2R from home in
preparation for WPX next weekend.  Due to space limitations I have one 40/80m
short dipole, nested dipoles for 10/15/20 and a trapped vertical for 10/15/20
at the bottom of the garden.  They are all within a few meters of each other.
Sadly when I wanted to operate I could not find any two of my useable bands
open! However running the MkV and the IC7400 side by side was a bit of an eye
opened.  My impression has always been that the 7400 is slightly better for
RTTY than the MP and the few hours I put in re-enforced this. (The MP wins
hands down on phone!) Even with the fully Inrad filtered MP I was able to copy
better on the Icom when 20m was overcrowded with stations.  Next weekend I will
make the Icom the Run radio and move the MP to 2nd radio posi
 tion and see if the results repeat themselves.
Used N1MM Logger again with the new 'Hover' feature which picks up the callsign
without having to click the mouse or use the keyboard.  An amazing idea which
is still in development and along with many other new features makes N1MM
contesting software to be reckoned with.
Only low point was having my run frequency sat on by UU7J who just called CQ on
top of me out of the blue!  As I was not seriously taking part I left the auto
CQ running and within a few minutes he stopped CQing and called me for a QSO!
They must have lost 7 or 8 Qs in that time, hopefully they will try QRL or just
listen before using their power to try and muscle onto an occupied frequency.
All in all good fun, just not enough time spent at the keyboard!
Also listened to some superb CW from the FOC guys, quality like that I can only
dream about!
73
Jim,  MM0BQI

    QSOs    Pts  Cty   Sec