Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade
From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:13:53 -0800
On Saturday, February 25, 2006 8:03 PM [GMT+1=CET],
AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I fellows relatively new mode for me.
>
> What do you guys consider the best brand/model radio for
> RTTY barring cost factor?
>
>  73 fer nw,
> Bob AD5VJ
Of all the ones I've used, I like the IC-746PRO the best. It has a RTTY
filter mode which provides a twin peak filter, 300 Hz bandwidth and
amplitude limiting. It's DSP IF system is superb. Another good one is the
Kenwood TS-870S, likewise with a superb DSP IF system, but without the other
bells and whistles. I also had a Mark V FT-1000MP Field which is acceptable,
but not in the same league as the two above.

I presently have an IC-756PRO III on order, which I bought mainly for the
spectrum scope. It has essentially the same IF system as the '746PRO. If it
proves to be as good, then it would be my top choice.

Bottom line: DSP IF filtering is a must. Crystal filters are history. Good
crystal filters are expensive and DSP can do the same thing or better for
pennies, relatively speaking.

73, Bill W6WRT