Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:16:06 -0600
Okay, a second shot at this...

I agree, the TS-850SAT is definitely a better radio. They're selling in the
$700 ~ $800 price range for a sharp used unit. Then you can filter them up for
another couple hundred bucks. And the TS-870 is even better.

If Tom can suppress his desire to run High Power, and he sells both the FT-840
and the TS-450, and he throws that Grand on the table, he could end up with a
nice pair of TS-850's with good filters.

But don't sell the TS-450 too short. It actually runs true FSK and you can
filter it up with 250 Hz filters that work on CW and RTTY. But a $3 Kilo-buck
radio it's not! It's a compact, portable, entry-level radio.

As far as I'm concerned, AFSK should be outlawed. I was chasing a phantom
signal on 15m in NAQP this afternoon. Another overdriven AFSK operator.

Come to think about it, my old Drake T4XB had FSK in it. That's what, 30 year
old tube technology? I don't understand why FSK isn't a standard feature in all
radios. You know, like a microphone.

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 9