[RTTY] RTTY on 160 Meters

To: "a RTTY COL eList" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY on 160 Meters
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <flcyclone@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:32:46 -0500
I've been encouraging digital modes operation for about four years including
RTTY between 1800-1810 kc, the segment that the ARRL recommends in it's
voluntary band plan. There is a fair amount of PSK31 and OLIVIA MFSK in that
range and also around 1837-1840 kc from Europe and Africa.

I've also tried to get more RTTY contests to include 160 meters but it's been
to no avail. So yes any kind of reasonable QSO rate on 160 meters would be near
impossible. I've only managed six RTTY QSO's on 160 meters in the past four
years!!!

Also intentional QRM by a few CW only on 160 LIDS is also a big problem as I've
mentioned in the past and I say that as a big CW op myself. CW ops only want CW
between 1800-1840 kc and have even been pushing for CW only between 1800-1900
kc!!!

As I've also already mentioned very recently the W1AW CW bulletin broadcasts
have been pressured to QSY off of 1817.500 kc by selfish CW ops and
unfortunately W1AW has decided to park right on top of the digital modes
calling frequency of 1807.500 kc. The selfishness and intolerance of some of my
fellow CW ops is just incredible.

It never occurred to me listen for PSK or RTTY in that portion of the band.
The few RTTY or PSK signals I have heard are between 1.807 to 1.810 MHz

The OPEN UKRAINE RTTY CHAMPIONSHIP'2006 is the first RTTY contest I have
seen that has 160 category.  "..... The CONTEST consist of 2(two) parts: LOW
BAND (1,8 & 3,5 MHz) and HIGH BAND (7, 14, 21 & 28 MHz)."

Something tells me it will be hard to maintain a high (or any) QSO rate on
160

Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA
Grid Square EL97AW