Re: [RTTY] RTTY on 160 Meters

To: <rttY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY on 160 Meters
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:41:28 -0500
"Andy has a very good point. If we want to play with them we are going
have to do it between 1838 and 1842."

Personally, I believe, that US stations operating RTTY, between 1838-1842,
are only asking for severe problems, from the 160 CW operators? That being
said, I received this from the Great Lakes Division Director, in response to
my letter, about moving W1AW:
 "First, I have no desire to debate the point over QSYing the W1AW 160M
educational broadcasts.  You are certainly eligible to develop and
express a thoughtful opinion concerning this, which you have done.  We
need more members who will consider proposed actions, develop logical
positions on these and express themselves in the manner you did.
Thanks.
Having said this, I've had a fair number of members over the past year
or so who have expressed fairly soundly-developed positions that W1AW
should QSY to avoid, in particular, DX operators.  As a result, I am on
the fence on this issue with the exception that I ultimately favor it
because it is an action taken after considerable, serious discussion
between Joe and Wayne Mills in particular.  I would even bet that the
discussions ultimately involved most if not all of the ARRL management
before the decision to QSY was reached.
Admittedly, expending a lot of hot air in reaching a decision doesn't
always mean the decision is the right one.  In this case, I can assure
you the decision was made after in-depth consideration of all the
positives and negatives that surround it."

It seems to me, that the move is a "done deal", as there seems to be more
interest in 160 meter DX, or at least a more vocal crowd, than there is in
digital?

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW