Re: [RTTY] MixW on RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MixW on RTTY
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:08:46 -0500
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:20:19 -0500 , "Thomas Giella KN4LF" said:

>Lloyd,
>Here are the directions to imbed MMTTY into MixW:
>
>Go up top in the software and click on "Mode" and then click on "RTTY".

>down box.
>
>In the "Additional modes" window enter RTTY in the first  box on the left
>and MMTTY in the second box. Check the "Run external program" box, then in
>the "Pathname" box surf the path to the MMTY engine in your MixW folder by
>clicking on the button with the three ... on it.
>
>When you are ready to run the MMTTY engine go to "Mode", Additional modes
>and click on RTTY (MTTY) and the MMTTY engine will come up.

Actually, this doesn't imbed MMTTY into MixW at all - it simply calls up
MMTTY as an external program. You can call up *any* program (Excel, for
example) in exactly the same way. There is no transfer of information from
MMTTY into MixW, and no ability to use MixW to control MMTTY.

As far as I can see this is the same as simply starting up MMTTY in a
separate window from the Windows start menu. The only advantage is that you
can direct MixW to relinquish control of the CAT and PTT ports
automatically, so as to allow MMTTY to take control of them. Unfortunately,
MixW does not relinquish control of the FSK port, so to use FSK with MMTTY,
you still have to manually disable MixW's FSK port first. If you are not
using Windows XP, you can also direct MixW to relinquish control of the
sound card, which cannot be shared in older versions of Windows. In Windows
XP, you can start up separate instances of MMTTY and MixW and have them
share the same sound card, but you do not need to configure MMTTY as an
"additional mode" in MixW to take advantage of this.

There is a different way to use MMTTY as an RTTY engine with MixW which
actually does give MixW a means of controlling MMTTY, reading information
from the MMTTY input text window, sending information to MMTTY to be
transmitted, etc. You can do this by configuring MMTTY to emulate a KAM,
configuring MixW to use a KAM TNC (as a "TNC mode" rather than an
"additional mode"), and then connecting the two either using two serial
ports and a null-modem cable or with a virtual null modem driver (see
http://mixw.net/related.htm#tncemu for details). As above, the two programs
cannot share serial ports for CAT, PTT and FSK - they will have to be
disabled in MixW before you can use them from MMTTY.

>I presume that you can surf the MMTY loggings path into the MixW2.log file
>under "Configure" up top and then "Personal Data" but am not sure about
>that part.

No you cannot - the MMTTY log and the MixW log use different formats. The
only way to transfer data between the two logs is to use ADIF export and
import.

73,
Rich VE3IAY