[RTTY] silent majority

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] silent majority
From: "NJ4F" <nj4f@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:01:15 -0400
thread from the beginning, skipping over most of them. It's a shame we can't be
a little more civilized, it appears some responders have taken this very
seriously, but then, a lot of us take this hobby very seriously.  I have been a
ham for almost 40 years, in and out, depending on lifes dealings at the moment.
I took up RTTY'ing again last year after a 20 year absense, altho it wasn't
very involved back then. But I really enjoy it now, because my hearing isn't as
good as it was years ago, so being able to read what the other station is
saying works for me. I work the contests as a SO1R: 756Pro3, Alpha 89
(450watts) (when allowed), and a TH11DX at 70 feet. It took me many a year to
graduate to this station, I feel both proud of it and fortunate to have it. I
don't know where I fit in. I guess I fair better than the hams
  with the 30 year old radio and a dipole up at 20 feet, but then I don't
compete with the hams with phased SteppIR antennas either. My scores don't even
qualify to be put on the internet compared with most hams. But I do it for the
fun. This is one way I work towards my DXCC RTTY, and other awards.  I know
that because of the hams with the big antenna systems, those that run, and them
that stay up all night, will always beat me. I can't compete with them. But I
have other things to worry and complain about.  Like many other things in life,
I don't think there will ever be an even playing field for every type station
there is.  Too many of them. Others have said that they compete against
themselves, I just compete to have fun, and do the best I can do AT THE MOMENT.
 I don't think there is an answer to make everyone happy.  After 30 years of
law enforcement, I've learned that, no matter what rules you come up with,
someone is going to be unhappy, someone is going to feel left
  out, and someone will always lose. If someone can come up with some changes
that levels the field a little bit more, then fine. But there are just too many
different variations of station setups to have a level field for each of us.
Let's have fun!
Dave, NJ4F