Re: [RTTY] Two sides

To: <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Two sides
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:56:18 -0400
Bill writes:

> Because that second radio gives a greater advantage than anything you
> could do with antennas, IMO.
>
> With two radios, you can listen during 100% of the contest period
> instead of about 50%, and you can do it on multiple bands if you want.
>
> What antenna will let you do that with one radio?

I disagree ... let me turn the argument around:

With a directional (gain) antenna you can hear and be heard by two,
five, ten times as many stations as you can with a single element
(non-gain) antenna.  Since you can't work what you can't hear, the
gain antenna allows you to make (for example) 1500 QSOs in 48
hours (~30 per hour) instead of only the 400 strongest signals.

How many radios do you need to work stations you can't hear (or can't
hear you)?

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV