Re: [RTTY] How to handle a pileup on RTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>, KH6GMP <kh6gmp@hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] How to handle a pileup on RTTY
From: "ws7i" <ws7i@ewarg.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:36:30 -0700
Hi Gary,

In my opinion the easiest method, tho I like Dave's response to you as well, is
the following:

CQ CQ KH6GMP,  Big roar.

I learned this one from I think an Iceland station years ago, prior to Writelog
and call highlighting, BTW.

Now you just wait.  About 3 or 4 minutes if necessary, write down all of the
calls you see on a piece of paper if necessary,  Then just start working 'em.
They will get the idea after 1 or 2 go arounds. e.g.

K7OX de KH6GMP 599 Hawaii
K7GS de KH6GMP 599 Hawaii
WS7I de KH6GMP 599 Hawaii, then a QRZ and work the next bunch.  This Iceland
guy used to work about 10 in a row then a QRZ.  Not sure its the most
efficient. But it works.

Maybe this instead, DE KH6GMP UP 2, if you split you can then maintain control.
 As RTTY is FM, turn down the RF gain until the strongest print.  RF Gain in
RTTY is your friend.  Split up just 1 or 2 will work and if you're getting a
pile the hard part is for them to hear you and you to control.

73 Jay WS7I
--
ws7i@ewarg.org

From: KH6GMP <kh6gmp@hawaii.rr.com>

Here I go, "how to handle a pileup"????    how to handle an rtty pileup.  I
dont get them often but when I do its
frustrating. I guess when I do get one its because the band condx became
supergood or maybe I got spotted and KH6 is a wanted multiplier.
Anyway, suddenly I get anywhere from 2 to who knows how many callers
responding to my CQ.  All right exactly on same frequency, cant copy any
of them.  If I do a 'qrz?'  or 'agn?',  the same ones call with the same
result, cant copy any call or even a portion of a call.  What I do is
just keep waiting for the one with the most patience who outlasts the
rest and is finally alone and I go back to him.   Im wondering if there
isnt a better way.   Any comments???

ALOHA de Gary KH6GMP