Re: [RTTY] IARU and 14100 Beacon QRM from Digital Signals

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] IARU and 14100 Beacon QRM from Digital Signals
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 15:56:39 -0400
On Oct 1, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

> If we want to be really serious about this, contest rules should
> declare a "guard band" around the beacons, and stations violating it
> should be publicly disqualified.

I think we can take courteous operating seriously without having
write every possible scenario into a set of draconian rules for each
contest.

> "Gentlemen's agreements" are fine in theory but they simply do not
> work in a high pressure situation.

I disagree. With proper education and gentle peer pressure, we can
avoid the worst of this problem.

> Ask the 160 meter crowd how successful they are.

The 160m problem is solved. There was a small group of folks who
deliberately set up a net in order to cause conflicts with CW DXers.
They continued this nonsense for years, until Riley Hollingsworth
stepped in a got these guys to discontinue their operation in that
part of the band.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901