Re: [RTTY] WF1B and "too many prefixes"

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] WF1B and "too many prefixes"
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:09:56 -0400
At 12:48 PM 10/5/06, ws7i wrote:

>As they say in the sports world, "Not so fast my friend".  The
>problem is that the library's that Ray used aren't GPL'd so this is
>an impossible task unless you have his library's.  He released it so
>you could have the source to use in making something new.

Not having gone through and examined the entire WF1B distribution in
detail I can't comment globally, but from my cursory examination of
the external declarations present in the source code for the WF1B
country utility, it appeared that the external calls were all to
functions in TurboPower's tools.

Of course, I might have missed something there. And not having a copy
of the TP libraries on hand to test, I couldn't confirm whether this
would work or there'd be a problem.

Granted, Borland Turbo Pascal and TurboPower libraries may not be
exactly synonymous with "a DOS Pascal compiler." But, given that
Turbo Pascal v5.5 is freely available and the libraries may be among
those that TurboPower released open source under a Mozilla license
when it left the developer tools market, I figured it worth offering
up the possibility to investigate by anyone motivated enough to keep
their copy of WF1B running.

>I would say its high time to retire the old stuff and move on to a
>newer platform for RTTY.  There are reason's why software evolves.

In general I'd agree, but I'd be wary of the better being the enemy
of the good enough.

Of course there will always be people who keep Model A's, 75A4's and
PDP-1's in functioning order even though there are good reasons for
the technology to evolve.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK