Re: [RTTY] Fw: ZL8R demo on You Tube

To: <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, "'RTTY List'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fw: ZL8R demo on You Tube
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:59:53 -0400

AD1C writes:

> Or one could donate a RTTY interface and/or software to a
> DXpedition.  Or set up something like the "Battle Creek Special"
> where hardware and a laptop with the correct software, plug-n-play,
> is loaned out to various DXpeditions.  If these ops can see how easy
> it is to make RTTY contacts, they might be emboldened to take their
> own gear next time.

Oddly enough, many of larger DXpeditions are now taking interfaces
like the microHAM microKEYER or USB Interface II (yes, I have an
interest) either their own or "on loan" units but they are using
them for CW/radio control and/or voice keyer functions with software
like N1MM, WriteLog or Win-Test.  All three packages have RTTY
capability (generally MMTTY based) but it is not put to use until
the last day or two of the operation - if at all.

YX0LIX was a good example ... I provided three microKEYERs and
three CW Keyers.  Perhaps the relatively little RTTY was due to
the loss of the primary RTTY operator.  However, just as nobody
would be mount and expedition with only one CW operator, planning
for one operator to make the majority of RTTY contacts is giving
RTTY the short end of the stick.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV