[RTTY] [FWD: Re: RTTY chat?]

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] [FWD: Re: RTTY chat?]
From: Jim McDonald <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:28:22 -0700
ON5KST has a chat web page with chats for low bands, VHF, and others.  I
have only used the low band one, which is a popular means to exchange
"ANNOUNCE" type messages used on DX clusters only to those interested
in 160, 80, and 40.  It's popular during sunrise and sunset times to
track openings.

A couple of years ago, a few clusters, including the one I had, set up
an ANNOUNCE/RTTY capability which wasn't widely used.

I asked ON5KST if he'd consider a RTTY chat, but I was apparently the
only one to ever ask him, so he said no.  If you have any interest, you
might want to go to his web site at http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php
and evaluate whether that application has any interest to you.

I'm thinking it would be handy during DXpeditions to be able to share
RTTY times/frequencies (if any!) with others real time rather than
using the RTTY reflector and announce message on clusters.  It could
also be used to ask other RTTY ops about propagation or tips on working
stations on at t he time.  It might be a resource for a non-RTTY op on a
DXpedition with Internet access how to set up an interface or MMTTY. ;-)

You might want to post your impressions here and send ON5KST an email if
you'd use it.

Jim N7US