[RTTY] Filtering AFSK

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Filtering AFSK
From: "JT Croteau" <jt.w6fo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:45:53 -0400
I've only been using RTTY for a little over a month now, QSO count
only 220 x 18 countries, and using MMTTY via AFSK on older rigs
(Ten-Tec Argosy and IC-701).  Makrothen was my first semi semi-serious
contesting effort and the one thing that plagued me was strong
adjacent signals.   If I could hear them, and had elbow room on the
sides, I could work them.  However, if I could hear them but had
others real close by.. forget about it.

As we head into JARTS, I'm looking for tips on dealing with this when
you can't do any filtering on the rig.  I found myself switching
between the Argosy and IC-701 frequently during the contest.  The
Argosy has a much lower noise floor and decent filtering in it but
only 50W out where the IC-701 has 100W out and the only thing I found
effective during Makrothen was adjusting the passband tuning.  I'd
rather not contest with the Argosy as the finals are becoming hard to
find but it does have the better receiver.

Thanks

--
  <>< JT Croteau, W6FO - Canton, GA
  ARS #2,147 | NoGA-QRP | SEDXC | SECC | ARRL