Re: [RTTY] Filtering AFSK

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Filtering AFSK
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:34:18 -0700
I see you have received some good answers on how to deal with a rig
that uses AFSK and can not narrow down the passband on SSB. Those
suggestions will help.

But... if you become a serious RTTY operator, you need a better rig,
one which will operate FSK instead of AFSK and has appropriate
filters. If money is an issue, I'd recommend a good used Kenwood
TS-870s and if money is not an object, an ICOM IC-756 PRO III. Either
one is an excellent performer on RTTY. The PRO III was designed from
the ground up for RTTY, having a dedicated RTTY mode which includes a
filter/limiter system and also has a spectrum scope which is usable on
any mode, not just RTTY, and is excellent for taking a quick look at
an apparently dead band to see if there is any activity.

I have owned both and you will not be disappointed with either.

Bill, W6WRT