[RTTY] Interface Question

To: <MRBILL1953@aol.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Interface Question
From: IronmanY2k <IronmanY2K@triathlete.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 06:40:54 -0800
Eddy,

I can only speak from personal experience with no extensive testing on all
these units.

I would recommend the MicroHam Micro Keyer.  I would only recommend the digi
keyer if you didn't have a sound card on your computer, or if you for some
reason you needed a second sound card.  The digiker would be good for Digital
Modes.  The miroKeyer is good for SSB voice, CW and all digital modes to
include FSK RTTY and PSK31 etc.

As for your other questions:
1. Yes.  The microKeyer would easily do this.

2. I personally use Logger32 (free) for general logging and Writelog ($30),
which I recommend for serious contesting.  But, since you want a general
logging and casual contesting software I would recommend N1MM.  It is free and
has good support.  I personally don't use it but I know that many people do and
highly recommend it.

3. I have the FT-1000MP MarkV and it comes with a 500Hz filter built in.  That
seems to be adequate for casual CW and RTTY contesting and keyboarding.  I
would give that a try and if you need a narrower filter you could add a 250Hz
filter.  Serious RTTY contesters use 250Hz filters.  If your radio doesnât
have any filter built in already and youâre going to buy one then get a 250Hz
filter.  Also the MarkV has the EDSP which has a digital selection button which
helps narrow the bandwidth.  I am not sure if the FT-1000MP version has this.

4. If you have enough ports you could go either way.  But since you are going
to buy an interface I would recommend a USB interface since it is a neat and
easy installation.

Also, if you want a really great SO2R USB interface then I would highly
recommend the mircoHam MK2R+.  But that would be for serious SO2R ops.

Good luck and I hope to work you on RTTY soon.

73, Jim
AD6WL

I have a question for all of you here on the reflectors. I'm very  interested
in getting a new interface for my personal use. I have a Yaesu  FT-1000MP and
I like to be able to connect it up using FSK RTTY and AFSK for the  rest of
the digital modes. I've been looking at the "NEW" US Interface -  Navigator by
Rigexperts, USB DIGI KEYER by microHAM and the RigBlaster PRO by  West
Mountain for my purchase but I'm open for ALL suggestions. I'd appreciate  to
hear
what all of you recommend using. I know the "Navigator" isn't on the  market
until January 2007 but I've given the web address below and maybe  you folks
could get an idea from that.

First, is it possible to have my Yaesu hooked up for both FSK  & AFSK at the
same time so I don't have to do any cable switching?

Second, what logging/contesting software would you suggest for a casual
contester/keyboarder.

Third, I have no filters installed in my radio yet, which filters would you
recommend.

Fourth, should I be looking to use USB Port connection or stay with  the
Serial Ports for now.

Thank You for listening to all of this and I look forward to hearing from
you soon.

73 de NY2U Bill Eddy <<<<<
<<<<