[RTTY] RTTY RU

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY RU
From: "Tom Martin" <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:20:41 -0600
Hello,

First time on this reflector after several years operating RTTY.  Since I
discovered MMTY, I rarely use SSB.  I was a heavy SSB contester in the 70s and
80s.  I've operated in several RTTY contests and RU is my favorite.  I had
14,000 more points this year than last because I finally learned how to use
SO2R.  Well, almost learned!  I stuck to one radio for the last 6 hours because
of a FSK problem with the Ft-990.  I use AFSK with the 1000MP.

I found that 80 meters was really a great run band for me Saturday night before
I went to bed.  I had over 100 an hour at one point.  The other radio was on 40
but not much was coming through.  So, I concentrated on 80.  It was the
opposite on Sunday.  I stuck to 40 with the beam pointed NE and worked all
areas of the US and a few Europeans.  I've found that 15 meters was only open
to the south , just like  the past several years.  Is there a 10 meter band?
HI!

I missed NV, ND, DC, HI, and AK.  Strange not to have a NV station in the log
and three ME!

I used N1MM Logger and it worked flawlessly!.  My wireless mouse died for a few
hours and I used the ALT-G.  It is slick!

I was quite pleased with my effort, considering that I am in the "Black Hole"
of propagation here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I noticed that 90 % of
the high scores were all in the RED states!

A highlight was working 1A4A on 20 RTTY before the start of the contest.  No
new ones during the test but great fun anyway.

Band    QSOs              Pts                Sta                         Cty

   3.5     177                 177                   14
        2

     7      196                 196                   3    ?
        4

    14     264                264                   28
       30

    21       51                   51                    8
            8

 Total     688                 688                  53
       44

Score: 66,736

Time On: 23.7 hours

Rigs:             FT-990 and SB-220 with microHam USB II USB Interface

                       FT-1000MP and Dentron MLA-2500 with RIGblaster

Antennas:    5 element monobander for 20 at 72 feet..

                      2 element monobander for 40 at 80 feet.

                       Inverted V for 80 at 65 feet.

                       A3S at 40 feet.

I think that next year I'm going to sell three of my four amps (AL-80B and
Drake L7 in reserve) and get one 1.5 KW amp.  I love QRO!

73,

Tom W8JWN ; V31TR; MJ/W8JWN