Re: [RTTY] Banned RTTY freq list

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>, "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Banned RTTY freq list
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:37:00 -0500
At 08:10 PM 2/14/2007, Tom Osborne wrote:

> > Some automated PACTOR stations operate on 20. This may be >what you
> > heard. Maybe something like WinLink (google).
>
>Is there anybody operating those stations?  Sometimes I have printed pactor
>to see what it was about and all it was was someone sending the same call
>over and over again.  Never see any text like watching a rtty QSO.

The "call over and over" is probably a field station (boat or RV, for
instance) trying to connect using PACTOR1 mode to a WinLink automated
base station to get a weather bulletin or check his email. As soon as
the connection is made, they probably switch to the higher speed
PACTOR3 mode if the field station supports it. You would lose it at
that point unless you have the kilobuck PACTOR3 modem.

I have used the WinLink HF email system from my camper on lengthy
trips. It made a lot of sense back when it supported cheap modems,
but many of the major base stations will not allow connections now
except from stations using the kilobuck PACTOR3 modems.  On a major
camper trip through eastern Canada 2005, I gave up on it in
frustration. The Winlink team are trying to develop a cheapie
soundcard protocol that would work as well as PACTOR3, but it is not ready yet.

Jerry W4UK