Re: [RTTY] Com port PTT keys radio when radio turned on

To: "'rtty'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Com port PTT keys radio when radio turned on
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:59:52 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:37:53 -0500, "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
wrote:

>My computer's COM 1 port keys the PTT of my PROIII every few seconds when I
>first turn the radio on.  The PTT in the CW/RTTY interface box described on
>AA5AU's web site is connected to COM 1 on my Dell 8300 PC.  It happens maybe
>every 15 seconds for maybe five seconds.  Opening MMTTY will cause the PTT
>keying to stop, and it's still OK fine even after I close MMTTY.  It doesn't
>make any difference which mode the radio is in.
>

>Interestingly, I didn't realized that was happening when I was reconnecting
>open wire feeders after turning on the radio after a storm had passed.
>Naturally, the radio was either in CW or RTTY set for about 50W output.   It
>took a couple of transmissions until it dawned on me why my fingers were
>getting toasty!

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

That is really strange. It is normal for Windows to key the PTT when
Windows starts. You will hear a beep-beep, a pause, another beep-beep,
and other pause and a final beep-beep. I occasionally hear that
transmitted from somebody over the air so I know it isn't only me. :-)

But to continue transmitting after that is very odd. What other
programs are running at the time. If you have NO other programs
running, does it still happen? How about if you use MSCONFIG to
disable the startup programs and also disable all non-Microsoft
services?

Bill W6WRT