Re: [RTTY] The uknown signal

To: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>,"RTTY List" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The uknown signal
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:36:43 +0100
Bill,

I listened to your sample, and it is definitely an Olivia variant.

Using MultiPSK, I checked Olivia, and apart from the usual 32 tones at 1kHz
width, there are the following also available:
4-250, 8-250, 4-500, 8-500, 16-500, 8-1000 and also 16-1000.

As it happens, there was such a signal on 80m just a few minutes ago, and I
decoded it after a while of playing around with the various 500Hz options.

The "extra" bandwidth is just the slight spread of the tones, and in
MultiPSK, the tuning bars are set at 500Hz, with the signal appearing
slightly wider than that.

I am not sure what other Olivia software there is out there, but MultiPSK is
quite good at decoding all sorts of digital noises.
I just hadn't realised there were other options apart from the usual
32-tone, 1kHz wide variant!

Ah well, you learn something new every day!

Chen.............. I like the analogy of fingernails on a chalkboard! And as
you say, the new generation may not realise what that is! I recently watched
a teenager try to operate a dial phone in a museum! They could not grasp the
principle at all, and kept stabbing at the holes. Had to laugh!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP