Re: [RTTY] RTTY qso rate

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY qso rate
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:44:24 -0500
Bob, you didn't mention you were in Delaware (I know because I have your call
memorized as being in DE) which, by itself, is worth
more Q's per hour than say NY or PA in some cases.  Being from an extremely
rare state, you would spend much more time running than
S&P.  If I were in Delaware in CQWW, I would not S&P until late in the contest
on Sunday or if things got really really slow.  High
power will allow you to hold a frequency and multipliers will come to you.  My
guess is you could run as many as 90/hr on the high
side if you were pretty good and the pileup not too big to handle.  But over
the course of the contest, using a single radio, I'd
shoot to average 60/hr and try for 1800 contacts over 30 hours.  But CQWW RTTY
has no rest periods so you could go more.

I'd run a rate meter to keep tabs on how I was doing.  The rate meter will run
high during the first and middle parts of the contest
which is good, but it will be offset by low periods toward the end.  Don't be
fooled by big rates at the start.  During the ARRL
RTTY Roundup, I can average 100/hr low power for 12 or 13 straight hours the
first day, and pray for 50/hr the next day.

Of course, running SO2R would more than double fun and increase your score
anywhere from 30-60%!

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com