Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:01:38 -0400
> One defining characteristic of SO1R is that when the TX is
> on, the RX is off and vice versa. In other words, traditional
> transceiver operation.

"traditional transceiver operation" is a relatively new concept
and has no bearing on this topic.  Separate transmitter/receiver
operation - including the ability to support duplex operation -
was the norm for the first 50 years of amateur radio.

The definition of the "single operator" entry classification is
simple - and it has nothing at all to do with the number of either
transmitters or receivers the operator has at his disposal.  From
the ARRL general HF rules:

 2.1.Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting,
     receiving, and logging functions as well as equipment
     and antenna adjustments.

 2.1.2.Single-Operator stations are allowed only one transmitted
       signal at any given time.

To attempt to create a separate entry class based on the number
of available transmitters or receivers is about as stupid as
creating separate entry classes based on the number of available
antennas.

> The advantage of SO2R is that the operator can be receiving (looking
> for mults and new stations) during the entire contest, where the SO1R
> op can only be listening about half the contest. Being able to do that
> is a great advantage, much like going to high power or using multiple
> transmitters.

This is a canard and comparable to saying:

"the advantage of 40 WPM CW is that the operator can make a QSO in
one quarter of the time it takes at 10 WPM.  Being able to do that
is a great advantage, much like going to high power or using multiple
transmitters.  To compete against people who can't do that is unfair. "

Perhaps it is time to enforce "speed limits" on CW or place those
who operate faster than 10 WPM enter a separate entry class.
You may not like an operating technique but so long as it is legal
(one operator, one signal) there is no basis to place it in a
separate entry class.