[RTTY] I found this to be common in LoTW

To: "LoTW List" <ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com>,"RTTY List" <rtty@contesting.com>,"QSL List" <dx-qsl@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [RTTY] I found this to be common in LoTW
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 18:28:06 -0500
I worked xx9xx/6, during a contest.
I uploaded the log to LoTW and never saw a qsl fro xx9xx/6

But I did see that xx9xx had qsled a contact via LoTW for a non-contest qso.

so I ran a test and sure enough, xx9xx for the as yet unconfirmed qso did
match what should have been xx9xx/6

I also spotted that a dx country that allowed a special prefix yy99yy did
not qsl via lotw, but when I used the normal prefix for that country my test
did show up as a LoTW qsl.

So basically, what this means is that many people do not realize they must
obtain a certificate for any call sign variation of their basic call xx9xx
is NOT the same as xx9xx/6
With the more frequent SE calls on the air, it's pertinent to remind them
that these LOTW qsos will not provide a match.

so the LoTW miesters either need to remind people of this fact or code for
situations where a match occurs for a callsign variation which is as yet
uncertificated. (is that a word?)
Or at least when such a callsign variation occurs, LoTW should notify the
station that his log, was incorrectly uploaded due to the variation.
I would have thought that it would not be difficult for the LoTW system to
recognize that a callsign and it's logs were not matching anything due to
the /6 or difference in the SE call and inform the submitter of his need to
apply for a certificate and reupload.

Because so many contests require out of district stations to append the /#
to their calls, I bet I'm missing a lot of qsls due to this situation.

Whenever a system becomes completely defined, some damn fool discovers
something which either abolishes the system or expands it beyond
recognition.