Re: [RTTY] Band Plan and RTTY contesting

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Band Plan and RTTY contesting
From: Phil Sauvey <akdxer@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
I heard this same station and my contest scratch notes tell me that I thought
it was a European station sending that message. Don, I heard this as well
(between 1700 & 1800z) and he was sending the message that from 14099-10101 (I
think he meant 14101) is the beacon band and he was referring those listening
to the IARU band plan. I heard them send this message for several minutes but
then left the frequency and I never heard anymore.  I normally try to avoid
this area and play above 14.104. I did have several times when I was between
14.108 & 14.114 that someone kept sending AMTOR, PACTOR or one of those TOR's,
on top of my signal but eventually left (after I had been there for awhile).
There were times when the band was totally busy and stations were solid from
14.074 up to 14.118! I did notice that the RTTY folks appeared to have left a
gap for the PSK31 folks around 14.071 to 14.073. All in all, I  thought it all
went well and I did not see any other tempers flare. I did
 see a few making their very first RTTY contacts and was pleased to see the
contesting station(s) have a little patience with the two QSO's that I saw. Oh,
and I even heard some HF packet stuff (love that sound) but I am sure that
those contacts probably had to wait until after the contest (I believe a BBS).
Lots of great stuff this weekend even if the bands were not the best!

  Phil
  KL8DX

Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net> wrote:
  That is not actually the beacon frequency, as I recall.

But - how big a "guard band" should we actually allow for something
like this? Do we back off far enough to make it possible to copy the
beacon on a $30 toy-quality pocket shortwave receiver?

Seriously, is there a useful recommendation that those of us who use
beacons as well as contests can actually live with? Or, considering
that most _serious_ beacon users can probably tolerate a signal 300
Hz away without interference, do we need a guard band at all -
especially when contesters only need that spectrum space for a few
hours per week?

Jerry W4UK