Re: [RTTY] Band Plan and RTTY contesting

To: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Band Plan and RTTY contesting
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:50:53 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:47:08 -0400, Jerry Flanders
<jeflanders@comcast.net> wrote:

>But - how big a "guard band" should we actually allow for something
>like this? Do we back off far enough to make it possible to copy the
>beacon on a $30 toy-quality pocket shortwave receiver?

A CW signal sent at around 20 wpm occupies a bandwidth of around 100
Hz more or less. Personally, I allow +/- 250 Hz which means a total
bandwidth of 500 Hz, and that should be enough. Anyone trying to copy
CW with greater than 500 Hz bandwidth is not using good communication
practice.

73, Bill W6WRT