[RTTY] JARTS age analysis and more...

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] JARTS age analysis and more...
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:27:58 -0500
Hello RTTY Contesters...

Rick, W4UEF provided statistics from his 598 QSO log as:

GROUP          AVERAGE AGE         AGES  (low/high)
=====          ===========         =====
ALL (436)         56.4             14/82 (other than 00 and 99)
NON-USA (185)     53.3             27/82
USA (251)         58.6             14/81

Here's my results when I analyze the RTTY stations in my JARTSA log:

TOTAL    USA     DX   Description
=====    ===    ===   ===========
  621    220    401   Stations worked
  477    251    226   Unique callsigns
   64      1     63   Unique DXCC entities
   59     46     52   Unique ages
    -     13     17   Minimum age
 55.7   59.1   52.8   Average age
    -     89     78   Maximum age
   57     60     52   Median age (1/2 older, 1/2 younger)
    -     65     43   Most frequent age
    -     21     15   Total # of most frequent age
    6      2      4   Age = 00
   12      4      8   Age = 99

Here's some of the conclusions I can make looking at these results:

1) The 13-year-old operator I worked must have turned 14 on Sunday when Rick
worked him... or we have two young contesters in our hobby! (I worked KB1NYQ)

2) The USA RTTY operators are "grayer" than the rest of the world, the average
age is approaching 60 compared to about 53 among the DX operators.

3) It appears the age population follows a bell curve. For both USA and DX
stations the average age is nearly identical to the median age. The median
tells you half of the ages are higher and the other half are lower.

4) The most popular USA age is 65, which I logged 21 times. The most frequent
DX age was 43, which I received 15 times.

5) Although I logged 6 stations sending 00 for the age (indicating YL/XYL
operators), I know one XYL who WAS telling! So there are more women operators
than the numbers suggest!

6) Multi-Op / Club stations are more popular in DX countries, with 8 DX entries
compared to 4 in the USA.

7) Looking at unique callsigns, I logged about 52%/48% for USA/DX, pretty
evenly balanced.

8) Looking at raw QSO totals, I logged 35%/65% for USA/DX. I had many more
repeat (multi-band) QSO's with the DX stations than the US stations.

I uploaded my spreadsheet to:  http://chudek.aberon.net/  if you want a copy to
review. Go into the "File - spreadsheets" album and select the JARTS file.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

http://k0rc.spaces.live.com
http://czudek.spaces.live.com
http://chudek.aberon.net