Re: [RTTY] VP6DX on RTTY (Ducie)

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] VP6DX on RTTY (Ducie)
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:17:00 -0800
On Feb 13, 2008, at 2/13    8:26 AM, Robert Montemerlo wrote:

> Logged VP6DX on RTTY last night around 5:30z in MA

Very good RTTY ops.  Although it wouldn't hurt if they'd added a
carriage return (or at least spaces) at the start or end of the
exchanges.  I wouldn't have noticed it, except that copy was so clean
that I had the squelch turned on, and saw no separation between the
exchanges.

I only saw one of the ops slow down a little when a solid wall of JA
stations came up on the waterfall.  If I can see a wall of JA, I
can't imagine what they are seeing!

I was seeing them at times with 30 dB of SNR into the Portland area,
amazingly good signals into the Pacific Northwest.  After midnight
local time, there was some selective fading, but the band was void of
other signals by then, with their signal still punching through a
quiet noise floor (ditto the 20m CW station).

A far cry from "RTTY operation" by VP6DI.  No need to activate Parody
Island this time around, HI.

They were at 14089 mark, and listening down 7 kc.  When it became
crowded, I have seen them announce DN7 to 15.  Spread in that direction.

(Some of the VP6DX CW ops announced the split using absolute
frequency -- "UP 20" for QSX of 10120, for example -- but the RTTY
ops seem to use the more traditional frequency difference.)

73
Chen