[RTTY] The dreaded QSO B4 macro (was: RTTY WPX ZC4LI SOSB/20 HP)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] The dreaded QSO B4 macro (was: RTTY WPX ZC4LI SOSB/20 HP)
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:48:45 -0600
Jim,

When this happens to me, I don't log them. It's their loss and their NIL during
log checking. Although I suspect many don't even submit a log.

An interesting case in point: Yesterday I received a request for an eQSL from a
W6-lander who thought they had a contact with me during the WPX RTTY. I
remember this contact vividly. I called him and received a QSO B4 message and
no serial number. How in the world I ended up in his log when I didn't send him
a report I will never know!

I rejected his eQSL request and included an explanation in the rejection
notice. Something like, I did this because you sent me QSO B4 and no serial
number. I then asked him to never use the QSO B4 macro again during a contest.
I also told him it would have been quicker to simply work me, whether his
software thought I was in his log or not.

I have also sent messages to contest station owners when I have been given the
"QSO B4" reply. Often these are contest club stations who are tutoring newer,
less experienced operators. My messages have always been in a positive, take
this as an educational opportunity, tone.

In your case Jim, I would send an email to jf1ryu@jarl.com (his listed qrz.com
address) and explain why using the QSO B4 message is a bad idea. Maybe he's
just starting out in contesting and could use help from an Elmer.

It has been said before, everyone on this reflector already knows they
shouldn't waste a macro with "QSO B4". I think the most effective tool is to
provide positive feedback to the station who slaps this response on you during
a contest!

I am probably gaining a reputation out there from my QSO B4 actions. I don't
know whether it is good or bad! :-)  But if you don't offer feedback, the
operators will never know this is the wrong operating procedure and make a
change.

That's my $20 take on the situation!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 4