Re: [RTTY] Guantanamo Bay

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Guantanamo Bay
From: "Kevin Brown" <Kevin.Brown@compuwin.biz>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:01:20 -0800
I assume they are still assigned by the "Commander, US Naval Base, Guantanamo
Bay, Cuba" as stated on my KG4AG license, but probably the base communications
officer or staff did the paper work. My license is from 1978 and signed by CWO2
JE Harvey. I assume CWO2 Harvey was the base communications officer at that
time. Perhaps Stu KG4SS can confirm that the base commander is the authority
that issues the call. The military was the authority in places like KG4, KZ5,
KM6, KG6 etc. I haven't looked recently, but I think it is buried in the FCC
regs. Call signs like KG4xxx are issued by FCC, but KG4xx are military.

If you google KG4AG you will find my WA7SHP QRZ entry as well as the current
KG4AG because my callsign was reissued. I should not complain too loudly
though! I recently learned I was not the original holder of that call sign.
KB1E once held it in the 1950's and I suspect he was the orginal holder. I wish
that QRZ had the option of listing callsigns by date, so I could have my KG4AG
listed from that time instead of only the current holder of that callsign. I
would venture a guess that the current KG4AG has expired.

I selected the suffix of "AG" because that was the letter combination for my
Rate (job) in the Navy. That rate name is Aerographer Mate and performs the
weather observing and forecasting duties for the the Navy.

FWIW, I am trying to find my old paper logs from my operations so I can then
enter the QSO information into LOTW and eQSL.

Does that help?

73
Kevin
WN7SHP 1971 to 1972