[RTTY] PropNet Article in QST

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] PropNet Article in QST
From: George Henry <ka3hsw@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:04:17 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Just sent to Steve Ford, WB8IMY:

I was very disappointed to read your glowing endorsement of PropNet in the
March QST "Eclectic Technology" column.

If you have been monitoring PropNet for any period of time, you know full well
that virtually every PropNet station out there is beaconing automatically, in
violation of 97.203(d):  the time stamps verify that the beacons are being sent
automatically.  Every attempt to persuade PropNet users that they are beaconing
illegally has been met with double-speak claims that their transmissions are
somehow not "beacons".  Furthermore, the instructions for setting up PropNetPSK
given at http://www.n7yg.com/propnetpsk/index.html make NO mention of the
requirement that beaconing only be done while attended, and if fact, tell one
how to set up the software to beacon automatically.

There is a complaint before the FCC right now, asking them to shut down PropNet
for this very reason, and your endorsement of the system does not help.

It is irresponsible for you, as the editor of QST, to be endorsing a system
which so blatantly violates FCC rules, and I am calling on you to immediately
issue a retraction of your endoresment in the next ARRL Letter, as well as the
next issue of QST.

George E. Henry, KA3HSW
ARRL 0001155357