Re: [RTTY] Bit length errors

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Bit length errors
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:58:59 -0800
On Feb 27, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Mike Mellinger WA0SXV wrote:

> To what extent does this same problem exists in the traditional
> serial port?
> Is this just a problem of implementation of the particular interface?

Back when men were men and UARTs were UARTs (remember the National
16550?), you can get quite close to the 45.45 baud value.

The baud rate of the 16550 is defined by 115200/factor.  So, with a
factor of 2535, you can get 45.44 baud out of it.  You can get even
more anally precise by changing the crystal that provides the 115200
Hz time base.

I think some PCI cards still use UARTs, but real UARTs is scarce among
USB serial port adaptors.  The only USB adapter that I have in the
shack here with a UART in it is the Belkin F5U103.

But 45.45 has never been a standard in the computing industry -- it is
not even in the Unix termios table, for example, which has 50, 75,
110, 134, 150, etc baud.  So, even if a UART handles 45.45 baud,
higher level software will not.  You might need a special driver.  The
weird 45.45 baud number stems from the fact that a bit time in RTTY is
22.0 milliseconds.

In today's world, you can probably homebrew some code for an EZUSB
chip that "lies" to the system that it supports 300 baud, but instead
puts out something close to 45.45 baud when 300 baud is selected.

But... why not wait until Doug K4DSP reveals his magic converter that
takes AFSK from the sound card and regenerates FSK to key the rig?
The baud rate can be anything you want as long as your software knows
how to generate an AFSK signal at that baud rate.

Just tell your software to put out AFSK to a sound card, connect the
regenerator to the sound card's audio output, and the regenerator
provides both FSK keying signal and PTT for the rig.

I think that this kind of AFSK-to-FSK regenerator is the way to go if
you want to use FSK.  There is no need for any USB serial port adapter
whatsoever.

73
Chen, W7AY