Re: [RTTY] Fwd: [Elecraft] CQWW RTTY - K3 Experience

To: RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fwd: [Elecraft] CQWW RTTY - K3 Experience
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:26:28 -0400
KK5OQ:

 >I was ragchewing with a W7 one day who mentioned he was trying out
FSK-D mode on his K3. I am not familiar with the K3 or FSK-D.
I guess FSK-D could be the paddle configuration?
The copy was not the greatest but what I noticed was a lot of extra spaces
in between the words/print. It could have been conditons at the time causing
that.
When I listened to the diddles I heard a distinct long dash in the
diddles/shifting ( farnsworth diddles? ). That made the diddles sound like
it was slower than 45 baud. I have been listening to diddles since 1970 so
that dash stood out to the ear.

         The spaces are caused because the K3 operator is using a
paddle to send CW.  I understand RTTY is sent at ~60 WPM, so you
aren't going to find many CW ops sending at that speed!  :-)  I
avoided the problem by loading my K3 memories as described below
in a post on the K3 list.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:
Using the CW memories made it even more easy. I think it must have been
a bit strange on the other side of the QSO seeing the long pause after
the 5nn because the "1" takes a reletive long time in CW.
That's also why a kept going on with the 5nn instead of 599.

Next time load your memory with 599 14 IM (dididahdah with no space
between).  The IM is for IMmediate end of transmission.  Don't send
5NN since 599 is just as fast in RTTY and less confusing to RTTY
ops.  Using my paddle, I loaded:

M1:  W4ZV W4ZV IM
M3:  599 05 NC IM
(if I needed linked repetitions I just double-tapped M1 or M3).

Using the memories, I was later told I sounded like regular RTTY
(i.e. no delays due to CW sending speed since my memory exchanges
were sent at full RTTY speed of ~60 WPM).

I didn't see any point in repeating the call of the other station
since I was always dead zero beat (thanks to CWT) and was responding
to his CQ (i.e. not CQ-ing myself).  I found the K3's CW TX decoder
more sensitive to perfect CW timing than my poor fist, so after
mangling my first QSO with the key I used the memories exclusively
for my other QSOs.  I tuned for a CQ, pressed M1, if answered I
pressed M3, got my confirmation and went looking for another.  My
only slight confusion was when my call would appear in the buffer
after answering a station.  The first time I thought that was the
station answering me but quickly realized it was left over in the
display from my call (i.e. M1) since the DX often answered someone
else in the pileup.

This was my first experience with RTTY after 51 years on the air.  I
would never have bothered were it not for the K3.  I now feel very
comfortable using the above technique to call DX stations in a
pileup, should the need ever arise (i.e. in case a new one should
show up on RTTY and not CW).

73,  Bill