Re: [RTTY] RFI Problems

To: "Marc Tessier - VE3TES" <ve3tes@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RFI Problems
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:51:27 -0800
Two things I had to do in my shack:

1. Place the PC and the transceiver physically close to each other and
run a short ground strap between them. Without this, all your cables
act as an antenna with the PC at one end and the transceiver at the
other. The ground strap shorts out the "antenna".

2. When it comes to RFI suppression, powdered iron toroids are far
superior to the ferrite "clamp-on" style, IMO. I had tried literally
dozens of the clamp-ons with no help at all but a single powdered iron
on each audio cable totally cured my RFI troubles (along with step
#1). Get ones large enough to pass the connector through and wrap as
many turns as you can, at least four or five. The ones I use are the 2
or 2.5 inch diameter, #6 mix (red). Larger is better because they give
more inductance per turn and allow larger connectors to pass through.

73, Bill W6WRT