Re: [RTTY] RTTY RU Band Changes

To: "Dean Wood" <cqden6de@gmail.com>, <Rowland.Archer@gxs.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY RU Band Changes
From: "Jack West" <w7ld@theriver.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:56:28 -0800
Hi Dean,

I have operated in the RTTY Roundup every year since 1991
to present.  Most of my hair is gone now and what is left
is very gray to white.

I like the present 2 max off-time rule the way it is and has been.
I have found through experience that if you want to be serious
about a contest, you need to start planning and working on
details of your op plan at leasst one week prior to the contest.

This includes a study of your station capabilites and assets.
The propagation you expect by running several prop programs.
Your planned rest periods versus minimum loss of QSOs
and multipliers etc.  Your meals, coffee, etc.  Which way
you are going aim your antenna versus frequency and time.
What contest software to use and its best use of logging and
macros.  SO1R vs. SO2R. and practice.  Reviewing your
logs from past contests for trends, and setting higher goals etc.

I have not found it to be a last minute "fly by the seat of you
pants" procedure.  In the past I have deviated from my well
thought out game plan only find out I should have stuck with
my original plan.

My 2 cents at age 70.
73 de
Jack / W7LD / "Lucky Dog"