[RTTY] Cutting some slack...

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "Minnesota Wireless Association" <mwa@w0aa.org>, <rtty@contesting.com>, <MMTTY@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Cutting some slack...
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:53:04 -0600
Contesters,

I am seeing a lot of pre-contest reflector activity by fellows trying to get
setup for the ARRL RTTY Roundup that kicks off this evening. Hams are working
through the problems of new (to them) software, interfacing to their radio, how
to tune a RTTY station, missing COM ports and USB connectivity, solid carriers
- no diddles, upside down RX or TX... all the hurdles that everyone overcomes
when they first setup for RTTY contesting.

I expect a bundle of new callsigns will be decoded on my screen this weekend.
That said, I also expect there will be some "rough edges" as these new RTTY
operators engage in this mode for the first time. If you think the bands were
*packed* last year, I expect it will be even tighter this year. A good set of
250 Hz filters will be a requisite. If not, at least moving to the extreme ends
of the band to avoid the crowd in the middle.

My suggestion is for us old-timers to cut some slack and throttle the criticism
of all the "poor operating" experienced during this contest. Be thankful there
will be more callsigns and operators to work this year. Sometimes I find humor
in my self inflicted *fumbles*. This contest is not life-or-death, it's
supposed to be *fun*. Well... it's not life-or-death for *most* of us!

In any case, I hope to see you on the bands and put your callsign in my log!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

P.S. Be on the lookout for Ruff, K9SEX and if you do work him... throw him a
bone!