[RTTY] ARRL RTTY RU

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] ARRL RTTY RU
From: "Tom Martin" <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:35:03 -0600
Call: W8JWN
Operator(s): W8JWN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Michigan U.P
Operating Time (hrs): 24

SO2R:    FT-1000MP and Alpha 99 to 4 element StepIR at 72 feet, 80 meter Vee,
and 40 meter rotating dipole at 80 feet.

                FT-990 and SB-220 to trapped vertical, 80 meter sloper, and 40
meter sloping dipole at 84 feet.

Software:    N1MM Logger latest version.

Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec   Cty
   3.5     126     126    9    0
     7     418     418    6    4
    14     455     455   44   27
    21      35      35    0    8
 Total    1034    1034   59   39
Score: 101,332

I almost doubled my score from previous years because of improved SO2R
operation.  Also the use of a new 250 filter and my "Now" macro helped a great
deal.  I didn't miss any multipliers because of the "Now" macro.

I worked 50 states and 10 Canadian Providences.  My DX total was pathetic with
only 39 countries.  Where were the Caribbean stations this year?  Also, I
didn't hear many stations from Europe on 40 like previous years.  I was
surprised, however, to have a UX9 and 6W return my CQ on 40.

The StepIR in the Bi-Direction mode worked great for this contest.  I think I
made more contacts this year because of the new antenna.  My old HyGain 205-CA
wouldn't have done as well.  My vertical on the second radio was very
disappointing.  I had to place it between two trees and I'm sure they soaked up
a lot of RF.  Next year, it will be elevated above the house.  That is if the
XYL approves.  At least with the vertical, I had very little interference
between the two radios.

Again, I had a poor start.  Even though I sat on a frequency 20 minutes before
the start, I only made 37 Qs on 20.  I went to S and P for about 30 minutes to
get those contacts.  The next hour improved to 78 Qs by running on 20.  I don't
now what happens every year, during that first hour.

15 meters was poor from this latitude and 10 meters was dead.  I scanned 10
meters, with a third radio and never heard a diddle.

80 was down from previous years but 40 was better, even without the "shorty
forty" this year.  I decided not to put it above the StepIR because of wind
load.  I used the driven element of the 40 beam instead.

I hated to take a 4 hour nap because I was having so much fun!!!

Can't wait until next year.

Thanks to the WY station for giving me #50 in the last hours on Sunday.

73,

Tom W8JWN