Re: [RTTY] CQ WPX RTTY - SOAB operating time

To: "'Stein Roar Brobakken'" <s-roabr@online.no>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ WPX RTTY - SOAB operating time
From: "J. Edward \(Ed\) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 03:24:26 -0800
> I thought WPX was 36 hours, why 30 in RTTY part? It was good I checked the
> rules twice ;)

No, actually WPX CW/SSB was created with 30 hours for SO but increased to 36
hours a few years ago, a mistake in my view.  There are strong opinions for
both time limits and every year there is a debate about this on the
reflectors!  I think 30 hours is more challenging, requiring the SO to
carefully consider which hours he works to maximize score.  30 hours also
gives different geographical locations the opportunity to be competitive by
selecting their best operating time.  Not every contest needs to be the same
number of hours and "more" is not always better.  There are 4-hour sprints,
10-hour NAQP, 24-hour RTTY Round-Up and 48-hour CQWW, all of which are great
contests.

It is always good to check contest rules, even when you "think" you know
them, hi!

GL in WPX RTTY,
Ed - P49X (W0YK)