Re: [RTTY] Sent dupe serial numbers

To: <captcurt@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Sent dupe serial numbers
From: "J. Edward \(Ed\) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:30:38 -0800
> Newbie question here:
>
> Twice during the wpx contest, being new to the run sequence, I got
> fast-finger and entered the next call without hitting enter for the
> previous qso in the entry window.  Realized it right after but had
> already sent the same serial number to two conssecutive qso's.
>
> I'm sure this has happened a couple of times before to others. :)
>
> I quickly re-entered the first qso with the next serial number in the
> log but noted that the actual serial number I sent was different.
>
> How should I handle this when submitting?
>
> Do I just show the actual sent exchange numbers and not worry about it?

Duplicate serial numbers and missing serial numbers are irrelevant in log
checking.  You should always attempt to follow the serial number stipulation
in the particular contest rules, but most contest sponsors could care less
about a few irregularities.  Even if the human operators were perfect in
this regard, most contest software would be too complex, if not impossible,
to avoid occasional deviations.  For example, in a SO2R configuration if a
QSO is pending on each radio, they will likely have been assigned the same
serial number.  If they both complete and log, then duplicate serial
numbered QSOs exist.  In other cases, one radio grabs a serial number and
then aborts the QSO and a serial number is skipped.  Last weekend, using
WriteLog, toward the end of the contest I was giving out serial numbers
about 60 higher than the number of duped stations in my log.  Roughly what
was happening was the number of duplicate serial number about equaled the
number of skipped serial number, but there were about 60 dupes.

Long response.  The telegram is ... "Log whatever serial number you send and
don't sweat duplicate or skipped serial numbers in your log."

Ed - P49X (W0YK)