Re: [RTTY] ST-8000A on eBay

To: Mail List - RTTY Contest RTTY Contest <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ST-8000A on eBay
From: Dino Papas <kl0s@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:03:45 -0500
As Bill said, the ST-8K and ST-8KA are quite different animals....I
sent the following notes to the Green Keys reflector a while back
that may be useful to others here on this board who may be
considering getting a ST-8000A.

73 - Dino KL0S

-------------------------

(1) Already owning two ST-8000's I'd say that the older 8000's are in
several ways more versatile in the ham shack.  The 8000A lacks the
tuning CRT that is an integral part of the 8000....the LEDs that
display the strength of the Mark and Space tones are harder to use
with any accuracy.  To use the 8000A here I've connected it to my
Kenwood SM-220A scope used in the RTTY configuration to give you the
crossed ellipses for tuning.

(2) The 8000A doesn't have the front-panel memories switch accessible
(the 8000 has eight); the 8000A and in some ways is really more
suited to use with a computer terminal to do parameter controlling
via the remote connection.  If you're only going to do 45 Baud 170Hz
shift then that's really not a big deal.  Don't get me wrong, the
front panel is very versatile however.

(3) On the plus side, the 8000A doesn't use the NVRAM Dallas 1220Y
chip to maintain the memories parameter settings.  These chips have
an internal lithium battery that lasts about 10 years and the 8000's
are now well past that age.  If anyone is in need of replacing that
chip in their 8000 contact me directly for more info.

(4) If you still want to get one of these units (I just couldn't
resist, especially for the prices they're going for -- Hal still
sells them for >$5K!!!) make sure you get one of the NOS (new old
stock) units.  These come in the original sealed packaging along with
the full set of Bendix circular connectors that are needed to make up
all your hook ups to the back panel.  I used the connectors to create
a set of "dongles" that then attach to more common connectors.  It
also comes with a copy of the manual which you really need and will
cost you $50 from Hal.  I'd strongly recommend you only buy one in
this condition.  Just to get the connectors and manual separately are
probably going to cost you quite a bit.....this is the biggest
consideration in my opinion.....note you'll see several units
advertised that are obviously from DRMO surplus sales; one seller
notes that his comes with a "rare connector" which simply looks like
the power cord.  Caveat Emptor on those.

(5) These original units probably come with an older firmware chip
that you may want to consider updating - the latest firmware V1.9 is
also available from Hal for $50.

(6) If you're going to use the 8000A (or the 8000 for that matter) in
a standalone configuration you will need the software to control it.
No software comes with any of the units.  The good news is that Hal
still sells the "DSRTTY-Win" program ($100 is a little steep but it's
the only game in town) available which does a pretty good job.  There
is also an older DSRTTY program available for DOS for those who need
real legacy software.  Bertrand's note just popped up as I've been
typing this so checking out his TTYterm program may be worth taking a
look at.

(7) An alternative application is to use the 8000/8000A as a "front-
end" for a old TNC.  I use my 8000 in front of a PK-232 in a receive
only application.  In that way you get the benefits of the 8000's
filtering and the ability to use your software to control the TNC and
you retain the ability to use other modes like PACTOR.

ST-8000's have become pretty rare on eBay and the current "pricing
war" among several sellers makes the ST-8000A almost too good to pass
up (more toys to play with in the shack!).  I won't identify the
seller I got mine from here in a public forum but will gladly let
anyone know who cares and contacts me directly.

Mark Prather WB9HFK (mprather@halcomm.com) at Hal Communications is a
good POC to work with if you have technical questions, hardware
needs, etc.  Joe Witmer K9SZ (jwittmer@halcomm.com) is their software
guru and was also very helpful to me as I was getting my unit up and
running.