[RTTY] AFSK Mark Tone 2000 Hz vs. 2125 Hz

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] AFSK Mark Tone 2000 Hz vs. 2125 Hz
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:21:16 -0500
I was calling CQ Sunday AM and a KD6 responded but
he was not on my receive frequency. I tuned to him then
he retuned to me. He was using MMTTY and I was using
cocoaModem and we were both using AFSK in LSB with
SignaLink USB's. We chased each other for some time
until I changed my Mark Tone setting from 2000 Hz with
170 Hz shift to 2125  Hz with 170 shift. We were then able
to communicate.

The only reason I like to use the 2000 Hz tone in LSB
RTTY is because it is easier for me to mentally subtract
2 from the Kenwood dial frequency vs. subtracting 2.125
for logging or spotting.

After the QSO, another station send me an email that
he was coping the mail and I was not transmitting correct
until I changed the Mark tone from 2000 Hz to 2125 Hz.

Everything seems to work if I use 2125 and 170 shift and
I am really confused as to why it does not work with the
2000 Hz and 170 shift. I do not recall this being an issue
in the past.  It seems like my Tx is out of sync with Rx
when the tone is set to 2000 Hz.

Any clues as to what I may be doing wrong will be
appreciated.

73 Dick AA5VU