[RTTY] GU0SUP ANARTS 2009

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] GU0SUP ANARTS 2009
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:50:47 +0100
Hi all,

Sad to know this is the last ever ANARTS! What a pity it has to close, as
the format is excellent, and makes you work harder.

On the up-side, it was great to see 10m and 15m open, but what a pain that
the solar figures were so poor.
I guess 10m was all Es, but 15m opened lightly to the States, and I managed
a few extra mults that way. Also bagged LT0H on 15m for continent number 5,
but missed out completely on OC. I did hear John 9M6XRO on 20m with a huge
pile-up, but he was suffering from bad QRN and couldn't hear a lot of the
callers.

As I was busy on Saturday morning, I didn't get to start the contest until
after lunchtime, so it was a real plus to see the higher bands open. The
downside to that was the fact that 80m was very noisy, so I didn't bother
with that band.

I spent most of my time calling CQ, which was fun, but with the short skip
on 20m, I had to resort to periods of S&P to pick up some of the mults.

Was it just me, or were there a lot of folk responding to a CQ with GU0SUP
GU0SUP GU0SUP DE XX1XX XX1XX XX1XX PSE KN?
I had a lot more of this than usual, and it often resulted in QSB catching
their call, and when I asked for their call, all they sent was the same
message!
Not sure why, but I also had more than a few callers (when I was CQ'ing
above 14.105) who got my report, but then sent me their name, QTH, WW LOC,
station details, QSL route, etc etc!
And did you also suffer from those who were sending serial numbers instead
of the time?? My first one sent me TU 599 065 065 065 BK, and when I asked
for the time, he sent NO TIME ONLY NUMBER. Sadly, he didn't get logged here,
as he did not send me a valid exchange. I wonder HOW he managed to get to
065 and still be sending numbers! And no, it wasn't an IK station in the ARI
Sezzione! He wasn't alone, and I had a few sending numbers, mostly below
010, but almost all sent a time and zone when asked.

My last rant is about the rather numerous callers who called OVER and
existing QSO, assuming I would drop the contact in progress and work them
instead!

So, down to the figures! Here is what I managed in about 12 hours of
sporadic operating:
Class: SOST LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:    0     0     0
   40:   37   119    21
   20:  215  1223    57
   15:   92   416    35
   10:   36   106    20
-------------------------
Total:  380  1864   133  Continents = 5  Total Score = 1,239,560

Power: 100 watts or less
Ant 1 :  2-ele mini-beam, up 20'
Ant 2 : Inverted L, trapped for 40/80
Rig : IC756pro
Writelog/MMTTY

My log is now on LoTW, but paper cards are always welcomed!

73 all, and I look forward to seeing some of you at the Ham Radio event in
Germany in a little under 2 weeks!

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090615-0, 15/06/2009
Tested on: 15/06/2009 18:50:47